Tuesday, October 19, 2010

what if I can't do it? what if it's just too hard?

I CAN DO HARD THINGS.

One of the online communities I belong to has a few smart people floating around.  Maybe more than a few, but there are a few that strike a chord with me.  One of my self-talk phrases I use when I run to motivate myself is "I can do hard things".  I didn't think of this myself, I read it when one of these smart ladies posted it.  Another smart lady kept that post and reposted it on her blog.  I read it every so often because sometimes I try and talk myself out of pushing myself further. 

Yes, we should learn to respect our own limits.  I'm not saying I would try and hold my breath for 10 minutes underwater or anything.  I'm just saying that sometimes, maybe on a training run, I want to wimp out, turn around and go home.  3 miles is enough, even though the plan was for 8.  really?  is it too hard to go 8?  What are the factors?  is it too hot? too cold?  am i in pain?  is my asthma kicking in?  or is there a cute boyfriend sitting on the couch just waiting for me to come home?  yeah, thought so.  Keep running!! 

Sometimes is is too hot/cold/rainy.  it's hard!  but yes, I can do hard things.  My first 5k?  in the rain.  I didn't know what I was doing, but I just ran.  Now I know I can.  Hell, I willingly gave up solid food for 4 weeks after my RNY.  Hard?  YES!  did it?  YES!  Guess what??? I can do hard things.

YOU.  YOU can do hard things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment