Monday, December 6, 2010

Holidays and 5Ks

I ran my very first Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving morning.  It was chilly out, but my boyfriend and I got up and raced at 9am to earn our turkey dinners. 

Here we are pre-race:

This was BF's first official 5K, and he did pretty awesome.  I'm sure he ran a sub 30:00, however in something I've never seen before, there was no starting line that I could see.  It's as if they just turned all our chips on at the same time or something.  I didn't hear a gun, a horn, or someone yelling GO.  We just started running when the crowd in front of us moved!  Anyway, my official time was 29:35.

Yesterday, we moved on to the next holiday, and ran the Providence, RI Jingle 5K.  You may recall I ran a 5K in Providence in September with my sister and my 13 year old nephew.  This Jingle 5K was our next group event, adding my BF to the team, and because the race encouraged costumes and team, etc, we named our team "Missile Toes".  I was hoping it would get me kissed along the way by hot men, or at least one hot man (hello, boyfriend!).  We did not stop to kiss along the way, but we did run as fast as we could!  I nearly PR'd with an official time of 27:51.  My PR is a 27:49, but that was an unchipped event, so this might actually be a PR.  Whatever, I ran HARD and was sucking on my inhaler throughout the race!  Cold weather racing is definitely hard on my asthma, but I didn't give up, and unlike last week, I didn't even walk when taking a hit off my inhaler.  Of our team, my nephew and my boyfriend finished before me (in that order) and my sister finished after me.  Here we all are pre-race:


and here I am, finishing!

I'm hoping that my good finishing time and my horrible asthma are enough to get me back on the roads on a semi-regular schedule again, so my lungs can get a bit more accustomed to the cold.  I've got another 5K in two weeks, and then a 5 miler less than 2 weeks after that!  Can't have my boyfriend be beating me all over the streets of New England!  :)  More importantly, I'm almost a full pound over my upper limit as of this morning (though a post-race day is not a good day to weigh in), so I need to keep moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment