Monday, July 26, 2010

Cheering on "old friends"

3-Day walkers on the road to a cancer cure (with video) - Waltham, MA - The Daily News Tribune

 I'm sure I did not know any of the walkers I saw.  It didn't matter, it never will - they will still be my sisters and brothers.

So the Breast Cancer 3 day came through my town this past weekend.  I went out Friday afternoon to cheer some walkers while they walked on a path that did not have them visible to cars.  I knew it would be a good place to cheer, because what keeps you going on those 60 miles is, to some degree, the knowledge that you are being seen, and are showing the world what you are willing to do to stomp out Breast Cancer.

I sat out for a while, watching groups of 2, 3, 4, 10, some solo walkers, old, young, men, women, all kinds of people walk along this river path.  I clapped, I told them "looking good" and "half mile to the pit stop" and most of all "thank you for walking!".

I had goosebumps that afternoon in the 90 degree heat.  I have them now in my office as I type.  It's such a deep thing to push yourself to the limit, to finish what you start, to try something that you didn't think you could do.  This event signifies a lot of different things to each participant, that's the only thing I know for sure.  It's emotional and exhausting and exhilarating, all at once.

I wish I could have stayed all day, thanked and congratulated each and every walker....whether they know it or not, they are heroes, they are admirable, and they are athletes.

In September I will join some fellow athletes (I wonder if they know they are athletes), friends I met through having my surgery, and we will take on the Boston Marathon route to raise money for the Jimmy Fund.  We discussed yesterday that when we finish the 26.2 miles (and a few of us are VERY determined to complete this) will we be "marathoners"?  We're not running (in fact, it's not allowed in this event), but we are doing the distance.  My answer?  "HELL YEAH".  I'm a half marathoner (thankuverymuch) - and no one tells me that because I walked a few hundred yards of that race that I'm NOT a half marathoner.  It's about the distance, yes?

So here's looking at you, Marathon.  I'm coming for you!

And if you'd like to donate, click HERE.  I need to raise $250 in order to participate!  It's for the KIDS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment