Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Harvard Pilgrim 10K race report

Harvard Pilgrim 10K race report


On July 4th, more than 3000 of us gathered outside of Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots to participate in the first running of the Harvard Pilgrim 10K. I have run longer distances, but this was my first actual 10K.



The temperature was pretty high for an 9am start, though I don't know what it was exactly. I got over to the starting line pretty late, so instead of lining up with the 10 min/mile folks, i was in the back with the walkers and everyone else. This works for me, I find it confidence building to start in the back and pass others on my way to the middle.



My sister ran this with me, her first time running more than a 5K. We were together for the first 2 miles, and then I passed someone and she didn't come with me. I had to make two little walking passes for my inhaler at mile 3.75 and mile 5, and thought maybe she'd catch up



The course was mostly flat and through the quaint town of Foxboro, MA. Not a lot of spectators, which bummed me out since I get a lot energy from people, but it was the first time the race was run. It will grow.



The draw to this event was the finish line, which was the 50 yard line inside the stadium. As I turned into the tunnel I realized that I would run onto the field the same way the team does for a game, through a giant blow up helmet. I looked to the woman running next to me and yelled "how awesome is this?!" She smiled and we charged ahead. Then, as a major surprise, I heard them call my name over the stadium's audio, "Sue Doucet, from Waltham". I was so excited that my family, where ever they were, would know to look down and see me running across the field to the finish. I remember waving to the stands as if I had just been crowned Miss America.



After the finish (1:03.26), I waited on the field for my sister, who finished 2 minutes later. We jumped up and down and giggled like little girls. We then waited for a friend of mine, and took some pictures.



Here I am, running across the field:


After some rest

Can you believe one of us used to weigh 272 lbs? I can't!

2 comments:

  1. We should run next year! That sounds awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally. i will hopefully be better prepared for heat. or not care. one or the other is fine!

    ReplyDelete