Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thank you, Garmin!

So, I've used my new running technology a whole 3 times now:  one walk, one run, and one workout of interval running.  I can now operate it better than I can operate the silly, simple digital wrist watch I've had for a year.  Apparently, I can only do complicated.

Here's my take on this fine piece of technology:  OMG!!!!!!!!!!!  I learned more about walking in my first walk with this thing than I did in my first 36 years!  It was really cool to walk along thinking about how fast I thought I was going, and then to look down and see if I was right or wrong.  After 4 miles I was really getting a good feel for what each pace FELT like.  Previously, I only got that kind of feedback on a treadmill, but it's so fake there, cuz the machine is set to make you go that pace.  Anyway, I loved that part.

I took it on a 3 mile run the other night, which was also enlightening, much in the same way.  it's just harder to stare at the display when you are running.  :) 


Then, yesterday I had a 5 X 400m interval workout scheduled.  My Forerunner can help me with that too!  I can actually program it to BEEP at me when I've run the 400m, it gives me a 2 minute rest, and then BEEPS me back into the next 400, and repeat until I've done the whole workout!  Now, I did this on a track, so I didn't need the 400m measurement, but it was still nice to have and not to think. 


I'm really glad I purchased this.  It's brought some life and excitement back to running, which is good.  As much as I love what it does FOR me, sometimes running (especially in the summer) gets old, stale, boring, hard, unpleasant.  I'm also glad I waited a while to get it.  I have a base of knowledge about myself and my running/walking.  This will help me build on it.  i already know what pace I run a 5K and a Half - so this will help me understand if I start fast (too fast?), where my "peak" is... and hopefully help me push myself to reach new goals.

For those interested in what this baby looks like, here is a pic of the Forerunner next to my trusty watch. Yes, it's significantly larger....but not cumbersome at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment